This October, The Seattle Public Library is kicking off the Library’s first Booktoberfest—a celebration of books and beer at venues all over the city. Coming soon to a pub or Library near you, the events will include Librarians’ Revenge Trivia Rounds, ‘Ales from the Crypt: Spooky Stories ‘n Suds, Bookish Happy Hours and more. Everyone is invited to grab a pint and get bookish!
Librarians’ Revenge Trivia Rounds – Match wits with librarians on bookish and library themed trivia.
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 5, at Skylark Cafe & Club, 3803 Delridge Way SW., 206-935-2111. (Delridge area)
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6 at Westside Public House, 4752 California Ave S.W., 206-420-1452. (West Seattle area)
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 7 at The Blu Grouse, 412 S. Orcas St., 206-397-4302. (Georgetown area)
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8 at Murphy’s Pub, 1928 N. 45th St., 206-634-2110. (Wallingford area)
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14 at Kangaroo & Kiwi Pub, 2026 N.W. Market St., 206-297-0507. (Ballard area)
Beer Basics and Home Brewing – Learn all you need to know to begin brewing beer at home from Fremont Brewing Company’s Education Director.
- 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13 at the Fremont Branch, 731 N. 35th St., 206-684-4084.
Bookish Happy Hour – Grab a beer and mingle with fellow book lovers as you discuss what you’re currently reading and your favorite books.
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 19 at The Diller Room, 1224 1st Ave., 206-467-4042. (Downtown area)
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 26 at Beveridge Place Pub, 6413 California Ave. S.W., 206-932-9906. (West Seattle area)
The James Franco Review, with Seattle Youth Poet Laureate Leija Farr – Join LitCrawl, The James Franco Review, and Seattle Public Library for an evening of poetry from diverse voices featuring inaugural Seattle Youth Poet Laureate Leija Farr.
- 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 22 at the Capitol Hill Branch, 425 Harvard Ave. E., 206-684-4715.
Flight of Fancy – A Literary Cider Flight – Taste a sampling of hard ciders at Capitol Cider as librarians suggest books to pair with each.
- 6:45 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 22 at Capitol Cider, 818 E. Pike St, 206-397-3564. (Capitol Hill area)
Late Night at the Library: Spooky Stories in the Stacks – Enjoy spooky stories told after hours at the Library. For adults and older kids.
- 8:05 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 22 at the Capitol Hill Branch, 425 Harvard Ave. E., 206-684-4715.
Beer-themed 1930s Movie Matinee – Watch “The Public Enemy,” a Prohibition-era story of two Chicago thugs involved in the illicit trade of black market booze. Also showing The Three Stooges in “Three Little Beers” and Looney Tunes in “Buddy’s Beer Garden.”
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 24 at the Northgate Branch, 10548 Fifth Ave. N.E., 206-386-1980.
‘Ales from the Crypt: Spooky Stories ‘n Suds – Love scary stories? Love beer? What about scary stories under the influence of beer? Come gather round the beer taps to hear chilling tales of the macabre consequences of bragging under the influence, and of the grim and ghastly fate that awaits those who chug spoiled beer! Each reading features the same tales and will last about 45 minutes.
- 8 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 24 at Tippe and Drague Alehouse, 3315 Beacon Ave. S., 206-538-0094. (Beacon Hill area)
- 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27 at The Pine Box, 1600 Melrose Ave., 206-588-0375. (Capitol Hill area)
- 9 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27 at Capitol Cider, 818 E. Pike St., 206-397-3564. (Capitol Hill area)
- 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 31 at Brouwer’s Café, 400 N. 35th St., 206-267-2437. (Fremont area)
For more information, visit the Booktoberfest page, call the Library at 206-386-4636 or Ask a Librarian.